Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2013

DIY: Chalkboard Frames

This past semester I found an interest in calligraphy, typography, and just fonts in general. At first, I was just sketching around doing typography, but I went to Michael's and ended up purchasing a couple calligraphy markers and got into that. (I posted a couple pictures of this kinda stuff at the bottom of the post if you're interested!) Once I realized how fun it was, I wanted to have a way to display it and thanks to the many posts on Pinterest, a Chalkboard Frame seemed to fit the bill. I bought a two different frames at Hobby Lobby, one rectangular and one oval. At first, I thought I would just buy some wood and paint it with chalkboard paint, but life turned out to be a little easier than expected. At Home Depot, they sell thin chalkboard wood which was a blessing from above, because The Lord knows there are only a few weeks left of summer for crafting. I got the wood cut at Home Depot for the rectangular frame, but unfortunately Home Depot doesn't cut anything circular (what's up with that?, don't they know I'm trying to be crafty AND original, ugh). So mom and I pulled out the jigsaw and went at it! If you don't feel comfortable using a jigsaw, I suggest you go for a rectangular frame! I don't know what I'd do without mom to work the tools! After cutting to wood, I put it in the frame and just duct tapped it to the frame on the back because I don't plan on taking it out, and I realized tacks would work because the frame I bought wasn't wood. It was a pretty easy project considering I just bought the different parts and put them together! The hardest part, I found, was the actual writing! Maybe it's just cause chalk gives me the goosebumps, but either way, with anything art related, practice makes perfect! Here are a couple pictures!



Typography and Calligraphy:

No comments:

Post a Comment